How Vitamins and Minerals Affect Your Teeth
A well-balanced diet is essential for your dental health. It provides the vitamins and minerals necessary for healthy teeth and gums. Conversely, eating the wrong foods and drinks can weaken your teeth and make you susceptible to tooth discoloration and decay.
By consuming the right minerals and vitamins through food and supplements, you can improve your dental health. Here are some vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for your teeth:
- Calcium – You need plenty of calcium for healthy teeth and gums. You can get this mineral from low-fat dairy products, rice beverages, almonds, canned salmon or sardines, and dark green leafy vegetables.
- Phosphorus – Phosphorus works with calcium to promote healthy and strong teeth. It is abundant in many protein-rich foods such as meat, eggs, dairy, legumes, and nuts. You can also get this mineral from whole grains and dried foods. Some carbonated drinks also contain phosphorous.
- Vitamin C – This water-soluble vitamin plays a great role in repairing body tissues, bones, and teeth. The fact that vitamin C isn’t manufactured in the body means that you need lots of it in your diet. You can get it from various vegetables and citrus fruits like oranges and lemons.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D promotes calcium absorption in the body. You can get it from margarine, fluid milk, fatty fish, fortified soy, and rice beverages, as well as moderate exposure to the sun.
- Vitamin E – This fat-soluble vitamin boasts excellent antioxidant properties. It plays a significant role in protecting the body from tissue damage. You can get it from nuts, corn, olives, and green leafy vegetables.
- B Vitamins – B vitamins, especially riboflavin and niacin, are effective in combating oral sores and inflammation. If you’re suffering from canker sores or gum inflammation, you should include more B vitamins into your diet. You can find these vitamins in fish, poultry, red meats, spinach, legumes, almonds, and dairy products.
A diet rich in the above-mentioned minerals and vitamins can naturally improve the health of your teeth and gums. They can also safeguard your teeth against foods and beverages that frequently cause acid erosion.